Accident Benefit Legislation effective June 1, 2016 has impacted your policy:
- Effective June 1, 2016 the Ontario Government implemented changes to the Ontario Auto Insurance Policy. The Insurance Act defines the Accident Benefit amounts that you are entitled to, should you be injured in an auto accident. These Accident Benefit amounts are standard across the Province of Ontario with all Insurance Companies.
- What does this mean for you? The Medical Rehabilitation and Attendant Care Benefit has been reduced.
- There are certain options that you may purchase to enhance your Accident Benefits if you feel the Standard Benefits are not adequate for your personal circumstances. Please view the digital brochure below titled Ontario Auto Insurance Customized paying special attention to additional Accident Benefits available to purchase in the OPTIONS column.
- If you would like a quote for any additional Accident Benefits available, please complete the Ontario Auto Reform Buy Back Form noted below and return to our office. (email@example.com)
- We encourage you to visit the Financial Services Commission of Ontario website www.fsco.gov.on.ca and search on What’s New in Auto Insurance for additional information.
Get An Auto Insurance Quote In Ontario, every car on the road is required, by law, to have an insurance policy in place to protect the people involved should an accident or mishap occur. Simply put, an auto insurance policy can provide:
- Financial protection for the owner and drivers of an automobile should they be held legally liable for damages (death, injury, property damage) caused by the operation of their automobile
- Protection in the form of Accident Benefits for injured persons
- Physical damage protection for damages to the car.
Every insured automobile in Ontario has the same standard benefits. These benefits are included in the Standard Ontario Automobile Policy. Our insurance providers offer more than the basic auto insurance required by Ontario law, which is designed to enhance your automobile insurance coverage.
When you buy auto insurance you will receive a Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card ( your pink card ). This is proof that you have the required auto insurance coverage. Your auto insurance is valid in Canada and the United States. We recommend you leave your insurance card in your vehicle or have it with you at all times so you and other drivers can produce this if the police request it. You will also need this insurance card when you first register your automobile and each year when you renew your license plate sticker.The business of car insurance is regulated by the provincial government, who sets the minimum coverage standards. The government also monitors how much insurance companies charge for their products. Insurance companies cannot change the basic coverage or premiums without government approval.
Mandatory Coverage in Ontario
Third Party Liability – This provides coverage for you or other insured persons if someone else is killed or injured or their property is damaged in an automobile incident. It will pay for settlements awarded to other persons, including the cost of your legal defense, up to the limit of your liability coverage.
Accident Benefits – This provides you and other insured persons benefits if injured or killed in an automobile accident. These benefits include:
- income replacement for persons who have lost income
- payments to non-earners who suffer complete inability to carry on a normal life
- payment of care expenses to persons who can no longer act as primary caregiver for a member of their household
- payment of medical, rehabilitation and attendant care expenses
- death benefits to survivors of a person who dies in an auto accident
- payment of funeral expenses
Uninsured Automobile – This provides coverage if you or other insured persons are injured or killed by an uninsured motorist or by a hit-and-run driver. It also covers damage to your automobile caused by an identified uninsured motorist subject to a $300 deductible
Direct Compensation / Property Damage – This provides coverage for damage to your automobile, because of an accident, when another motorist is at fault. It is called Direct Compensation because you will collect from your insurance company, even though you are not at-fault.
Optional Insurance in Ontario
Policy enhancements include but are not limited to:
- Increased Third Party Liability – You may purchase coverage beyond the minimum limits required by law.
- Optional Increased Accident Benefits – You may also purchase Optional Increased Accident Benefits to increase the basic level of benefits provided by your policy including increasing the Income Replacement, Caregiver and Dependant Care, Medical rehabilitation and Attendant Care, Death and Funeral Expenses and Indexation Benefits.
- Loss or Damage to your Automobile – This provides coverage for direct and accidental loss of, or damage to, your automobile. There is usually a deductible amount indicated for each area coverage.
- Collision – This covers damage to your automobile when it is involved in a collision with another object / vehicle.
- Comprehensive – This covers damage to your automobile against loss or damage other than those covered by collision including things like theft, vandalism, fire, and falling or flying objects and all the specified perils.
- Specified Perils – This covers damage to your automobile against loss caused by certain specific perils. They are fire; theft or attempted theft, lightning, windstorm, hail or rising water, earthquake, explosion, riot; stranding, sinking, burning and derailment or collision while being transported.
- Transportation Replacement – Provides for a rental vehicle while the insured vehicle is out of use due to an auto accident.
Limited Waiver of Depreciation
Waives depreciation charges in the event of a total loss, for the original owner of a new private passenger type vehicle, for up to 24 months, In some cases, this can be increased to 48 months. Certain other conditions apply.
Our Commitment – We commit to continue to provide you with personalized, quality service that includes professional insurance advice, ongoing policy maintenance and claims support that you need and deserve.